News

Navrongo – Sandema highway bridge to reopen by June 30, 2025

The visit by the minister followed a growing public outcry over the delay in the timely completion of the bridge and the dangers posed to commuters on the narrow road diversion.

My Turn Constructions, the contractor working on the bridge at Bonia that links Navrongo to Sandema, has given assurance that reconstruction work will be completed and the bridge reopened to traffic by June 30, 2025.

The company gave the assurance during an inspection visit by a delegation from the Upper East Regional Coordinating Council, led by the Regional Minister, Donatus Akamugri Atanga on Wednesday May 21.

The visit by the minister followed a growing public outcry over the delay in the timely completion of the bridge and the dangers posed to commuters on the narrow road diversion.

Speaking during the visit, Atanga cited several complaints on social media from residents and road users who described the diversion as hazardous. He revealed that there have been multiple accidents and even fatalities in the area.

“We are here because the youth are complaining about our inability to complete the road in the right time, because the diversion is causing accidents,” Atanga said.

He highlighted the urgency in completing the bridge before the onset of the rainy season, warning that flooding could cut off the Chiana and Sandema areas and parts of the Upper West Region.

“Once the rains are setting in, it will get to a time when the place where we have the diversion will be flooded, and if this [bridge] is not worked on, the Chaina area and the Upper West Region will be cut off from our region,” he explained.

The completion of the bridge is expected to significantly improve connectivity and road safety.

Atanga further assured residents and travelers that the government remains committed not only to the completion of the bridge but also to seeking funding for full reconstruction of the entire road.

“We know the road itself is supposed to be worked on, but the bridge is the vital part. If we are able to put this bridge up, we can now see how we can raise funding as a government to construct it,” he said.

The Regional Minister expressed satisfaction with the pace and quality of work so far, and called on the contractor to maintain close collaboration with local communities to ensure the project is completed within schedule.

The collapse of the bridge last year has negatively impacted the movement of people, goods and services. Its completion is expected to significantly improve connectivity and road safety between Sandema, Navrongo, Chiana and neighboring regions.

Mike 105.3 FM | Navrongo | Alexander Bombande

Related Articles

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button